Hyvinkää hacklab meetup group

Hi,

Brand new member, I am new ish to Finland and live in Hyvinkää. I am currently looking at building from scratch a Prusa MK3 3d printer clone and and currently in the research stage. I have no previous 3d printer experience but I have CNC router experience from a previous scratch build in New Zealand but unfortunately had to part with my machine for my move. So I am pretty confident I will have a machine up and running in time.

The reason for this post: today I went looking for a nearby makerspace as I have been keeping my eye out locally for one but was yet to find one :frowning: perhaps one day… But in the mean time I would like to propose a solution for this lacking in Hyvinkää if there is interest… I will make a local Hyvinkää meetup (on meetup.com) inviting people to join me in my build side by side. I am happy to share my research and plans for a machine and we can purchase similar items etc. Or perhaps there is a better way? Suggestions? Active Facebook groups?

Let me know your thoughts :slight_smile:

Thanks for the acceptance into the group

Evan

1 Like

Hi! Hacklab.fi is here to help you :smiley:

Hi Evan! I am also a local that has been dreaming about something like a makerspace or hacklab in Hyvinkää. If you are still looking to make something happen I would be happy to discuss it :slight_smile: I have also built a couple of 3d printers and I mess around with power tools from time to time :grin:

Hi Mikko, good to here from you. Yeah my desire for something has not gone away :slight_smile: but perhaps the timing of the idea was not so good with Covid etc :man_facepalming: I have a personal project where I am interested in building a 3d printer with the idea that it will be then used to build a small laser cutter - footprint 800mm x 600mm. the big plan is then to use these tools to build a full size 1200mm x 2400mm laser cutter. probably over ambitious but i know i can achieve the small machines. Does this sort of thing interest you?

Hi Evan, yes, I am interested in all sorts of CNC machines. I’ve been daydreaming of getting a CNC router, something like the workbee. But laser would be cool too :slight_smile: what size 3d printer are you looking to build?

Hi @Evan and @mkct. If you still live in Hyvinkää and are interested in organising a local hacklab or other maker activities in the Hyvinkää area, please contact me via telegram @ Avaruus or by email to juho.kostet (at) gmail.com.

Hi, I sent you an email but I will reply here too. I am still interested but just got on with my own hobbies. Did you have something in mind?

Apologies @mkct i only just saw your reply🤦‍♂️

The 3d printer would just be an avenue to the laser cutter so only something big enough to print 100mm x 100mm prints would be needed. I would probably clone a prusa. Maybe i would skip that though and just build a clone of the openbuilds ACRO… i don’t know. so many toys so little time :sweat_smile:. I have ended up playing with a A4 plotter to practice coding and SVG creation and manipulation. The benefit is it’s quite and not messy so i can run it indoors where it is warm :joy:

Haha, amazing that a two year old thread can be resurrected.

I moved to Hyvinkää during 2021 and actually considered setting up something back then, as I couldn’t find a local makerspace. Then I forgot about it and focused on some AI projects for a while.

Now I’d like to get back into building physical things, and it’d be fun to meet like minded people in the Hyvinkää area. Perhaps a meetup at first and then if there is more interest, we could look into possibilities to find a space to build a hacklab or other shared workshop.

I have a small lab setup at home with a couple 3D printers, electronics etc. Currently assembling a very entry level / cheap CNC just to learn the basics with.

I direct messaged you my number if you want to chat over Whatsapp. I would be keen on building a micro CNC pen plotter or something which is as simple and accessable as possible to introduce CNC to my son. I was also thinking about a hanging pen plotter similar to makelangelo. With my experience so far the hardest part seems to be the hardware software user interface. What sort of area to you have experience in?

1 Like

Makelangelo and other similar builds seem like a lot of fun and a great intro to these kind of machines. If your son wants to understand the inner workings more, perhaps figuring out how stepper motors work would be a great start. A4988 and other similar drivers can be used to drive one on a breadboard with an Arduino or a Raspberry Pi and a few lines of code.

I finished the CNC assembly during the weekend, but didn’t get to try it yet as the power supply came with a US plug and a sketchy looking adapter. I’ll pickup another adapter during the week and then give it a go. Planning to make some “Ei mainoksia, kiitos!” (no ads, thank you) signs for our mailbox as the first project.

Yeah he will definitely want a complete project not just looking at a motor go back and forward :sweat_smile: he won’t appreciate what goes into that just yet. Maybe i will look at building a Lego CNC and he can do the hardware and i do the software. That way he can play while i problem solve my biggy code :rofl: